I’ve been trying to make a pair of trousers that fits me perfectly for a LONG time. I started with a New Look pattern and despite making eight (eight!) muslins, I couldn’t get them to fit properly. I took Sandra Betzina’s Craftsy class, I read ‘Pants for Real People’ cover-to-cover, I scoured the internet, but nothing I tried worked. Then I decided to rub off a RTW pair which fitted me quite well and had sadly come to the end of their natural life.

I made a wearable muslin with my rubbed-off pattern. The front was fine, but I still had too much fabric under the bum at the back. I tried Sandra Betzina’s fix, which involves cutting a little sliver off the top of the inside leg seam at the back, so that the back is slightly shorter than the front, and stretching the back to fit while sewing.

Here is my second attempt at the rubbed-off pattern, with the fix. It’s another wearable muslin made from a ┬ásynthetic gabardine from John Lewis. Again, I think the front looks fine (the ‘whiskers’ are from sitting down, not because it’s tight!).

Grey trousers front

I’m less convinced about the back. I think there’s still too much fabric under the bum.

grey trousers back

Next thing to try is a fish-eye dart! Wish me luck!